veggie-lover’s shepherd’s pie
March 2, 2014 § Leave a comment
It has been long over due since I have shared a recipe! I have so many recipes that I would love to share with you all, but I just haven’t gotten around to it! But here is a delicious gluten-free, veggie dish! James and I are lovers of meat, so we usually do not have a meal without meat, but this recipe sure made our “A” list of dishes! Unfortunately I was skeptical of the recipe and did not think it was going to be good, so I didn’t get any good pictures of it! The pictures are terrible! But I want to share it with you anyway, bad pictures and all.
The recipe for the Veggie-Lover’s Shepherd’s Pie is from one of my cook books that we received as a wedding gift, and I would highly recommend it! We have loved almost every recipe we have tried. However, with this one I tweaked it a little bit and added a few ingredients. See if you like it too! It is part one of two recipes, as you can use the left over mashed potatoes for the Smashed Potato, Ham, and Leek Soup. I’ll post that recipe for you later to try as well! It was delicious! 🙂
Veggie-Lover’s Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and halved (or quartered if huge)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cup of gluten free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons of rosemary
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese + more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the garlic mashed potatoes, in a saucepan cook the potatoes, covered, in a large amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes until tender. Drain, and in a medium bowl mash them. Stir in the cream, butter, 2/3 of the garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside 1 cup of the mashed potatoes in a storage container for the Smashed Potato, Ham, and Leek Soup recipe. In a medium bowl combine the garlic mashed potatoes and the 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth, lentils, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium/high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the carrot/onion mixture, tomato, and tomato paste to the chicken broth mixture, and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. (You do a lot of waiting with this recipe…)
- Transfer the mixture to a 8×8 pan, add the frozen peas on top, and mashed potatoes. Top with Parmesan cheese to taste.
- Lastly, put the dish in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are golden brown on top.